Sandy Creek Conservation Park - Bronze-Cuckoo's


Went for a morning walk around Sandy Creek C.P. this morning and came across a bird I have never seen before a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo! A bird that in South Australia isn't reported all that often. I was photographing a Collared Sparrowhawk when I heard a call I wasn't familiar with. Leaving the Sparrowhawk I moved the hundred or so metres to where the call was coming from, in large native pine. For around five minutes it called but didn't move and I could not find it! Then eventually it flew down into a Eucalypt  not far away and I confirmed what I was starting to think, that it could be a Shining BC! I had heard reports of them in here before, although not many! but in all my trips here I had never come across one till now! Rapt! At one stage I could hear another one calling back, so there were at least two in the park!
At the moment there has been a large influx of the similar looking Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo's in the area and they were also calling from every corner of the park. These two Bronze-Cuckoos can be distinguished by the Horsfield's lacking the barring on the throat and down the middle of the chest, being a little less green on it's back and the calls are quite different. I have put an average photo of a Horsfield's for comparison at the bottom of this post!


Shining Bronze-Cuckoo

Shining Bronze-Cuckoo

Shining Bronze-Cuckoo

Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo


Comments

Popular Posts